Expanded Definition of Student Success + Co-Taught Classrooms
At Atlas, we believe all students should receive the personalized instruction they need to thrive. In order to set our kids up for success, each of our classrooms will have 26 students and will be co-taught by two educators. This allows us to have flexible groups to more effectively support our students and meet their individual needs. Below are a few specific scenarios of what this will look like at different times throughout the day:
- Both teachers co-teaching the same lesson with all students working on a similar project or task
- One teacher supports two or three students while the other teacher leads the larger group
- Students working in four groups of six or seven students; students rotate between four stations; two of the stations are led by a teacher, and two of the stations are student-directed
- The class is split into two groups of roughly thirteen students, and each group is taught by one of the teachers
- One teacher leads a whole group lesson while the other teacher circulates the room offering support where needed
- Both teachers pulling either individual students or small groups while all other students work on an independent assignment
Our co-teacher model allows for more flexibility and enables our teachers to personalize instruction and ensure all students are actively engaged in the learning. We're able to provide both enrichment and remediation within the classroom and do so in a way that maintains the dignity of all students. It also allows us to support our students with special needs in an environment that is more inclusive and without stigma.
Co-taught classrooms from kindergarten through fifth grade are just one of the many things that make our school community special. Atlas will open in the fall of 2021 to kindergarten and first grade students. You can learn more about our school model here. If you could see your child thriving at Atlas, I encourage you to take the next step and apply today! Our application is straightforward and only takes about five minutes to complete.
As always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need anything from our team.
Co-Founder + Executive Director
4220 N. Duncan
St. Louis, MO 63110
Cell: (314) 226-8896