Job Description: K-3 Grade Classroom Teacher(s)
Atlas is an intentionally diverse, year-round public elementary school that opened in St. Louis in the fall of 2021 for curious, creative, and compassionate kids. Atlas’ mission is to educate the whole child by combining a rigorous academic program with real-world, place-based learning experiences so all students thrive in middle school, high school, and beyond. Atlas’ academic program is designed to spark creative and critical thinking and engage students in challenging work that is connected across multiple disciplines. Students participate in authentic, hands-on experiences that are rooted in the local context of St. Louis. As a result, Atlas students produce beautiful work that is meaningful to them and their community. Our year-round calendar gives students opportunities to participate in unique experiences that aren’t possible with a traditional school calendar. All of this leads to students who are academically exceptional, passionate about learning, and truly prepared to thrive.
Atlas’ model is diverse by design, meaning we not only draw students from all neighborhoods in the city, but we practice equity in all that we do - ensuring every child is able to access and receive an individualized education that builds off their unique strengths, skills and passions. For us, equity means that every child receives exactly what they need to be successful, even if that varies across lines of difference, so that each individual student has an equal chance to thrive. By providing equitable outputs of time, resources, and positive experiences for students, we work towards accomplishing educational equity so that a child’s outcome (i.e. well-being, academic proficiency, college graduation rate, future income) is not predetermined by race, socio-economic status, or any other factor.
In this role, you are directly collaborating with Atlas’ Head of School, your partner teachers, and the larger Atlas School team. You aim to bring your teaching experience to the next level of mastery. Aligned with Atlas’ mission, you will bring your drive, creativity, and growth mindset to help make Atlas’ vision a reality.
In this role, you will:
- Share your love and passion for literature and literacy with learners, and inspire them to be lifelong learners.
- Utilize the EL Education and CKLA curriculum to help students master the fundamentals.
- Create real-life learning opportunities in the local context of St. Louis.
- Support children in developing their discussion and debate skills along with their ability to write for a variety of purposes and audiences.
- Collaborate with team members to create relevant, entrepreneurial and art-filled learning experiences and projects across disciplines.
- Have the opportunity to develop within a growing environment.
- Stay current with trends, innovations, and research in learning science, instructional media, and learner behavior.
- Work alongside families and community partners to provide the individualized support students need while holding extremely high expectations for them.
- Work to educate the whole child by using our expanded definition of student success so all students have the habits, skills, and mindsets needed to thrive
- Passionate about our purpose and the social impact we aspire to create.
- Committed to educational equity.
- Charismatic self-starter and highly resourceful.
- Persistent, adaptable, innovative and want to continuously improve and grow.
- Creative and collaborative in a changing and agile environment.
In order to teach at Atlas Public Schools, you must:
- Provide an official transcript demonstrating graduating from an undergraduate institution
- Provide evidence of passing the Elementary Education Multi-Content MEGA test including each of the following subtests:
- 007 Elementary Education: English Language Arts Subtest
- 008 Elementary Education: Mathematics Subtest
- 009 Elementary Education: Science Subtest
- 010 Elementary Education: Social Studies Subtest
- Pass a background check complete Family Care Safety Registry
- Demonstrate eligibility to work in the United States
What we offer you:
- Join a community where whole-child education takes center stage, and where place-based learning, integrated studies, and authentic hands-on experiences are at the core of continuous innovation.
- Have opportunities to get out of the box you have been teaching in, implement your ideas, and incorporate new learning methods.
- Earn competitive compensation and health, dental, and vision benefits.
Atlas Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are up for your next challenge and ready to join the Atlas family and embark on this journey with us? If so, please apply by clicking HERE or click the button below.